Sunday, April 26, 2009

Golden Apples and Mustaches

A good friend of mine at work recently won the Golden Apple award. This is a big award in the teaching field. This friend of mine is a fantastic teacher and completely deserves to be honored in such a public fashion. She was told of her being a recipient of the award on live TV a month ago, given a segment on the news last Friday night, and received quite a bit of do-re-mi to use in her classroom and towards professional development.

This award was to be presented to her officially at a black tie, formal banquet that was held this past Friday. So, I got to get all gussied up in one of my sister's old homecoming dresses and went out with my best girlfriends from work. I wore a strapless, dark purple dress with the bottom outer layers cut at an angle and frilly. (I don't know how else to describe it). I forgot how much fun it was to get dressed up! My lovely dates were two other girl coworkers, one who is single and the other couldn't convince her husband to come out. The three of us had such a blast sitting there, making fun of other people. Seriously, one woman showed up in a dress that looked like she belonged to a polygamy compound.

I didn't make dear boyfriend come with me because the next day was the NFL draft day. Dear boyfriend has a tradition with his friends that they all grow mustaches in honor of "Da Coach", drink shitty 40 oz beers, watch the draft, and act like drunken idiots at dear boyfriends house. He grows a beard every year because he seriously looks like a pedophile when he wears just a mustache. Last year, dear boyfriend shaved his beard down to his mustache a full two days before draft day just to get a kick out of random people look at him weird. I was not about to show up to this very nice black tie event hauling Chester the Molester with me! By doing this, I got a nice evening out with the girls, got to skip helping dear boyfriend clean his house, and got to laugh at every text message dear boyfriend sent me while he was cleaning. He hates cleaning and does whatever he can to get out of it.

Unfortunately, the next day, I came down with the stomach bug that's been going around. So I've spent my weekend lying down on my couch in between the sprints to the bathroom.

No comments: