Thursday, March 19, 2009

Girls Rule

I'm not your typical girl. I love watching basketball, especially college basketball. I played varsity basketball in high school and it was in high school that I got suckered into filling out my first bracket for a dollar. I came in 2nd place out of a group of 43 boys. I was the only girl. After that year, I ran my own pool for a couple of tournaments. A few years later when I was a brokeass college student, my Dad fronted the money for a pool at his place of employment and I picked the teams. He promised to split the moolah with me 50-50. We each won $300.

Dearest boyfriend and I have always had a good-natured competitive spirit. For example, he loves watching college football (he's a football coach---for awhile, a defensive coordinator at a local college). During the Saturday night game-of-the week-special-games, we would bet on who was going to be the winner of the game. No money involved. Generally, it involved favors, like doing the dishes or even occasionally bragging rights. If a random game is on, we might place a friendly wager like that.

Fast forward to today. My dearest boyfriend's brother-in-law runs a huge pool. For shits and giggles, I filled out a bracket and persuaded dearest boyfriend to pay my $10 entry fee. Guess who is tied for 2nd place out of like 70 people? Guess who is not only losing to his girlfriend, but also his mother? Sucker!

No comments: