Saturday, March 14, 2009

New Digs

So. I disappeared. Long story. But I'm back now. Between the finishing up classes and my action research paper for my master's degree and the not living anywhere with internet, I didn't get a chance to blog.

Anyways, I just recently moved into a studio apartment. It's at a price I can afford, save money, and still be able to go out and have a good time. I'm kind of scared about living on my own, but then again, this has always been a goal of mine: to be able to stand on my own two feet and support myself. It's all mine and I couldn't be more excited.

I spent my first weekend here cleaning everything. It's a studio apartment attached to a 3 bedroom ancient house. Even though the landlord had the carpets cleaned and repainted the place for me, I still needed to clean. It's just something about me. I'm not one of those people who cleans obsessively, yet I'm not a total slob. I just like living in my own dirt. It took the entire weekend to clean here. (Did I mention the previous tenent was a stripper? Totally found one of her blue fake fingernails behind the pedestal sink when I mopped. GROSS.)

I've sunk some into my savings and my tax return to set up my new place. I had a bed, dressers, and dishes from the college days. However, in the past two weeks, I've been a one woman economic stimulus plan. Seriously. In the past two weeks, I've had to buy a TV, couch, chair, table, and a TV stand. Oh, not to mention curtains and bathroom things like towels. Outside of the couch, chair, and table, I bought everything at my local friendly big boxish discount stores. Even the table I bought on clearance.

Everytime I walked into a store, I was constantly harrassed by at least one, if not two or three salespeople. I needed to buy a couch and when I walked into one furniture store, a saleswoman practically begged me to purchase a couch through her and not any of the other sales associates because they worked 100% off of commission. Her husband has been laid off for months and they have 6 children. It just so happened that the couch I liked the best in my budget was from her store. So, the sucker that I am, I bought the couch from her. However, karma bites in the ass. I bought it a week ago, paid to have it delivered, and I'm still sitting on borrowed lawn chairs. I look like white trash. I have this nice new TV and I'm sitting on freaking lawn chairs in a tiny apartment to watch it. Yeah, I'm looking like total white trash. Klassy with a K as I say.

1 comment:

misguided mommy said...

pshaw i got you beat!

when i moved into my first place, i couldn't go look for furniture for about a week. so my guy friends and i went to the local market at night and stole all they crates. they built me a crate couch, tv stand, coffee table, dining table and chairs!

now that is CLASSY!